Dr. Tanya returns for #5Things by asking us to name the 5 qualities we most admire in others. This is interesting to ponder, along with today’s FPQ about ourselves. I find that the qualities I admire have changed over the years. I used to be drawn toward super smart, sarcastic, cynical, troubled people, but some of those traits have fallen out of favor with me.
Let me say something about honesty. I don’t admire honesty; it’s a baseline, something I expect from people unless extraordinary circumstances prevent truth-telling (like to save a life).
1. Kindness. This is by far the quality I admire most. I have been trying to become a kinder person and I gravitate toward kindness in others. Many times, kindness is manifested in not doing something. Not making a snarky joke at someone else’s expense. Not crowing about your luck or victories to make others feel lesser. Being the bigger person. Taking the high road. All that cliched mush. 🙂
2. Communicativeness. I admire people who are able to verbalize/write effectively to let me know what’s going on. It’s too hard to sustain any sort of meaningful relationship with poor communicators. My ESP doesn’t work well. 🤪
3. Resilience. I admire people who can easily adapt to new situations and make the best of things rather than complain. I know this sounds hypocritical, since I’m not too good at it, but that doesn’t mean I don’t admire the quality in others. 😎
4. Empathy. I can’t bear the overused term “empath” that so many identify as lately. I guess I’m an empath too! Wheeee! To me, this isn’t merely absorbing someone else’s feelings or reading the room. To me, this means the willingness to really listen and dive into another person’s POV by first abandoning one’s own and letting go of any ego issues and preconceptions/judgments. Now, this doesn’t mean we have to end up in agreement, but at least understand. It’s a hard thing to do consistently.🥰
5. Creativity. I admire creative people, whether writers, comedians, musicians, et al. I wish I were more creative! But at least I get to enjoy other people’s great work. 🤩
©️2020 Paula Light and Light Motifs II. No unauthorized use permitted. Please check out Paula’s books for sale on Amazon.