I grabbed these questions from Kristian ~ anyone can play!
1. Ending: A book ending that made you go NOPE either in denial, rage or simply because the ending was crappy.
– Gone Girl comes to mind, but I still respect the writing. Not crappy! Just argh!
2. Protagonist: A main character you dislike and drives you crazy.
– Dunno. Compellingly terrible protags are a good thing. Like in GG.
3. Series: A series that turned out to be one huge pile of NOPE after you’ve invested all of that time and energy on it, or a series you gave up on because it wasn’t worth it anymore.
– I read the first four Game of Throne novels and the fourth was a hugely tedious slog. I’ve given up now and will just finish watching the wonderful show on HBO.
4. Popular pairing: A Ship you don’t support.
– I love naughty Archy McNally in the Lawrence Sanders mysteries but I don’t support Connie’s forgiveness of him every time he cheats on her (pretty much every book).
5. Plot Twist: A plot twist you didn’t see coming or didn’t like.
– Can’t think of any except GG. If I didn’t see it coming, then that’s a good thing. Mostly in romance I see them, but that’s okay.
6. Protagonist action/decision that made you shake your head nope.
– In The Dogs of Babel — why didn’t she just get an abortion?
7. Genre: A genre you will never read.
– Never say never. Generally horror with the King exception. Religious stuff in general, unless it seems really interesting.
8. Book format: Book formatting you hate and avoid buying until it comes out in a different edition.
– Idk comic strips maybe.
9. A trope that makes you go nope.
– Twins mixed up. Getting back with an ex (even though I’ve written this myself). Vampire luv except maybe gothic. Shape shifters of any kind (also have written). Motorcycle club love. Military love. Love in the winery. Pirate luv. Native Americans (the kind where a blonde finds hot sexy luv with one). The thing where a woman has to go to the ends of the earth to save her child from some ridiculous thing or other. The other thing where she returns to a small town for whatever bogus reason and gets together with that hunky high school guy who’s now the sheriff and drama ensues.
I HAZ ISSUES!
10. Recommendation: A book recommendation that is constantly hyped and pushed at you that you refuse to read.
– Books by politicians and other celebs. These people don’t have enough money?
11. Cliche/pet peeve: A cliche or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes.
– I can’t stand the excessive commas that are, apparently, correct usage. It diverts me from the writing, especially in dialogue.
12. Love interest: The love interest that’s not worthy of being one. A character you don’t think should have been a viable love interest.
– Can’t think of any.
13. Book: A book that shouldn’t have existed that made you say nope.
14. Villain: A scary villain/antagonist you would hate to cross and would make you run in the opposite direction.
– The Night King! (GOT)
15. Death: A character death that still haunts you.
– Robb’s pregnant wife getting stabbed to death at the Red Wedding (GOT).
16. NOPE! Author: An author you had a bad experience reading and have decided to quit.
– I can’t stand Nicholas Sparks. I don’t know why anyone reads him when there are plenty of good romance writers. He’s absolutely awful.